Thursday, May 29, 2014

First starting on MetaCPAN in OPW program.

In my first week on MetaCPAN. My timeline is setting up environment and documentation.
I have had MetaCPAN web project running locally for  a while since my first contribution to apply for the OPW program but I found that I did a mistake in installing node.js and it didn't work properly so I spent about 2-3 days in to import the new VM and set up the CPAN API project which I didn't have before.  This also was the first time that I could install ElasticSearch and index data my in machine. It was really amazing to download minicpan and realized how much data from a long live of Perl programming.

I tried to improve some of document which was a bit outdate, some suggested modules has been deprecated. We have changed the example code and we needed to update document too. I tried to look at the code to see which module we're using add update document with existing code. I found the code is also outdate, however we will do the document to suggest people with the the right way to use not the way that we're using. ;)

My second week is to improve the user User Experience from User Interface or easy to say the front-end things. Although, I worked as a software developer before OPW program but I worked as Back-end developer so I didn't have much chance to work on front-end stuffs such as CSS, HTML and JavaScript. I looked at the issue about font on No result page is too small as well as another issue to provide more information to No result page. I'm trying to make No result page brighter but just realized that we have Bootstrap in old version and has not so much components. So I volunteer to upgrade it. I confess that I'm a bit frustrated with this task. I've never done setting front-end environment by myself because it always was a task for Front-end developers.

But this was my intension to set up my schedule 2 weeks for front-end stuffs. I think this will be such a good chance to spend time to learn new things that I'm not familiar with and this is also why I wanted to participating in OPW and MetaCPAN. Even I'm a bit nervous with the the task that I'm not used to but I won't give up !!!

No comments:

Post a Comment